Saturday, July 30, 2005

Since I'm not running a marathon this fall, I've decided to run a few smaller races with risslicious, langston, buzzcut, knighthawk, trudy and possible others. Those races are here:

  1. Run for Literacy
  2. Silent Trails Memorial Race
  3. Rim Rock Run

Run for Literacy: 7 miles. I have no clue what this race will be like, but I gotta get out to Steamboat, since, well, I've never been there. Tho Steamboat is conversationally worked as a summertime gem, I think September will have to do. Plus, I think the beer fest is going on...er, I mean the Art Fest - I just love a nice, cold tall frothy piece of artwork.

Silent Trails Memorial Race: 10 miles. I ran this in 2003 with langston. The scenery is magnificent, and the race is small enough that "runner's camraderie" shines through both pre-race events and post-race endorphins. I will say, that in training for this one, you'll need hill workouts. What's called the "Death Crotch" at mile 4 is not a joke. It's one mile of steep, lung-breaking work. Most people hike it. Even the ranking age groupers. The time/and season make it *$%#&^*& freezing in WY, so bring your electric legwarmers. Or maybe just gloves and a hat.

Rim Rock Run: 22.3 miles. I ran this last year, and it was by far the most scenic race ever. It dances around the Rim of the Colorado Monument on softer asphalt roads. The busride was a little bit of a pain (last year I nearly missed gun-time) but the end of the race you are amazingly close to your nice, fast, warm little car. You run to the top of the monument then follow the loping flat granite-sculpted park for the next 16 or so miles. Then you take a few miles to sink back down and break the tape in a lower elevation. If you plan on whining on the hill climb, just wait, because running downhill is the real challenge. Constant quad-braking gets tiring (but, in a good way.) Aid stations have contests where they celebrate every 4th mile with flare, energy, gummy bears, and GU for your post-race vote. FYI: They have 3 kegs of good beer at the end of the race. That's what I'm talkin' about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home